Review - Jackaby by William Ritter

em sexta-feira, 17 de novembro de 2017 |

First of all guys, I amazed that our little blog has been able to reach across the ocean to allow us to work with enormous names in the ‘’book world’’ like Algonquin Young Readers.

Thank you for making Thinking Like a Fangirl what it is today. I hope I can keep bringing you the best of the book world!

Suffice to say this book was kindly provided by the publisher.


Let’s get to the book!

20312462

Synopsis:

Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings. Abigail has a gift for noticing ordinary but important details, which makes her perfect for the position of Jackaby’s assistant. On her first day, Abigail finds herself in the midst of a thrilling case: A serial killer is on the loose. The police are convinced it’s an ordinary villain, but Jackaby is certain it’s a nonhuman creature, whose existence the police--with the exception of a handsome young detective named Charlie Cane--deny.

Doctor Who meets Sherlock in William Ritter’s debut novel, which features a detective of the paranormal as seen through the eyes of his adventurous and intelligent assistant in a tale brimming with cheeky humor and a dose of the macabre.



Review:
‘’I have a gift that allows me to see truth where others see the illusion--and there are many illusions. All the world’s a stage, as they say, and I seem to have the only seat in the house with a view behind the curtain.’’

Jackaby’s a story that reminded me a lot of Sherlock (the Tv Show because I’ve never read the books). Mainly because of the main character, a brilliant young man skilled in the art of deduction. Unlike Sherlock, Jackaby isn’t just the story of a detective trying not to be bored, but the tale of a boy with a gift that no one else possesses. He can see the supernatural and has dedicated his life to help solve cases with a touch of the unnatural.
“I have ceased concerning myself with how things look to others, Abigail Rook. I suggest you do the same. In my experience, others are generally wrong.”
I have to say that I fell for Jackaby for how pure he is, it doesn’t matter if people find him insane or if his life ends up lonely because he pursues what he knows is right. Our world would be lucky to have more people like him.

What I found more extraordinary was how – being such an outdated book, passed in a time before ours – it is still so very present.

People gossiping about other people’s lives, even when they know nothing of their story. A strong woman passing as a foolish girl with no capacity for making the right decision. (Feminism, yey!). Brilliant people, good people, being put aside, chased and hurt, because they are different.
“This world is full of dragon-slayers. What we need are a few more people who aren't too proud to listen to a few fish.”
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, even if I’m left with the feeling that something is missing, something that would elevate this book from good to amazing. It might be the writing, simple and direct, doesn’t transport you to the characters skin. Or maybe is just me that being unexperienced with mystery books…

The only thing I didn’t particularly enjoy was the attempt at turning stress and emotional situations into comedy. Nothing against comedy but it kind of flopped.
“That the battles are usually in her head does not lessen the bravery of it. The hardest ones always are.”
Many questions are left unanswered and that’s driving me crazy because I do not like not knowing stuff. Watch me as I search like a maniac for the next book and totally ignore the to be read pile on my shelf.

An amazing read that will transport you to an America very different from the one today. A story that promises to take you on a roller coaster ride, between monsters and love, friendship and despair, ducks and ghosts.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Have you read Jackaby? What are your thoughts? Let me know everything in the comments!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário