Review: Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

em quarta-feira, 28 de junho de 2017 |
Warning: This review may contain spoilers. Please read the follow text at your expense and risk.



Synopsis:
Three dark queens
are born in a glen,
sweet little triplets
will never be friends

Three dark sisters
all fair to be seen,
two to devour
and one to be Queen

Every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.
But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins. The last queen standing gets the crown.


When I first read this synopsis my expectations were really high. I was expecting to find something dark, with as much action as possible. No wonder I felt disappointed when I reached the middle of the book.
The story develops really slowly and at some point I forgot why I chose to read Three Dark Crowns. The book revolved around the story told by a third-person perspective of each Queen, and none of them was really that interesting.
Even the characters weren’t interesting. I couldn’t empathised with none of them (in fact, most of them annoyed me), except for Katherine. Arsinoe was somehow useless and her chapters were basically about the romance between Jules and Joseph, Mirabella was concerned about her sisters and being the favourite and her chapters were essentially about that, and Katherine was the only one who was working, somehow, with her gift and, sadly, the one I think that was undervalued by the course of the book.

I admit, I was pretty bored.

But things got more interesting by the end of the book. Coincidence or not, when The Quickening is close, the action starts go get quicker too! Not kidding! Here are some things that I liked and I disliked the most.

Liked: Drama and the unexpected ending.
Disliked: Drama.

Keep calm and follow my explanation for this paradox! I liked the “trying to run from this” and “let’s create an evil plan and change the rules” drama. It was intense, the action I was expecting since the very beginning and the only thing that kept me from putting down the book. I disliked the “I’m in love with two different girls”, “I’m living a forbidden romance” and “he said he loved me, but there he is hugging that girl! I’m loosing it” drama. Personally, It got me a little bit annoyed.
Nevertheless, the ending was awesome and is the only reason why I want- scratch that- NEED to read the second book. I need answers!



Rating: 2.5/5 

2 comentários:

  1. I was starting to get really interested by the synopsis and then your review started and I was like "Oh... That's sad.". It really sounded like a great book and I was picturing three fierce girls and lots of fights and action! Really liked your review though, being honest is a good thing ahahah

    Xx,
    Bia from Bookaholic.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I purchased this book a few weeks after it came out with the intention of reviewing it for my blog at the time. I never reviewed it, much for the reasons that you mentioned. It seriously grated on me. I was expecting to like these girls and be interested in what was going on with them, but by the end of the book I said "Welp, that was a thing I read." I also said, "Welp! this is a series book and she wrote it that way much to its detriment." The second book comes out in September. I will not be getting it for all the reasons you stated.

    ResponderEliminar